Visiting Assistant Professor of Animation
St. Edward’s University’s Department of Visual Studies School of Arts and Humanities invites applications for a one-year renewable, nontenure-track full-time instructor to teach in its new Bachelor of Arts in Animation (ANIM) program to begin fall 2020. The successful candidate will work effectively with colleagues across disciplines, will teach courses in the ANIM major, and participate in program and departmental service. The Visiting Assistant Professor or Instructor will also contribute to and support diversity, equity, and inclusion at St. Edward’s University.
This position is contingent on the approval of this new program.
- F.A. or equivalent terminal degree in an animation-related field.
- Teaching experience, or equivalent industry experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a self-directed manner in a fast-paced environment as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Significant experience in animation production. Proficiency with such software tools as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Animate, After Effects, Premiere Pro, Autodesk Maya, 3ds Max, Blender, ZBrush, Toon Boom Harmony, and Final Cut Pro.
- Demonstrated proficiency, at the university level, at lecturing and conducting studio demonstrations in methods and tools, as well as in developing and updating digital teaching materials.
- Significant experience (e.g., 6+ years) in professional animation.
- Three or more years of experience teaching a variety of courses including traditional, digital, 2D, and 3D animation courses, and the ability to teach animation history.
- Possess a broad understanding of the animation field, including both contemporary art and industry standards.
- Have a working knowledge of a range of animation methods and styles, and demonstrate a strong technical and theoretical foundation in their practice and teaching.
- Active record of creative research.